Refreshing Umeshu Cocktails
Also known as Plum Liqueur, umeshu is a Japanese liqueur made with ume plums steeped in liqueur and sugar. It’s a tangy and sweet liqueur with an alcohol content of about 10-15%, depending on the brewery. It became a popular drink in Japan sometime around the 17th century. Its delicate taste made it increasingly popular with young women. Did you know that aside from being delicious, this plum liqueur is also said to have some health benefits to it such as improving circulation and exhaustion?
This refreshing plum liqueur can come in many types like nigori (meaning unfiltered), genshu (undiluted), sparkling, and koshu (aged). For nigori umeshu, the liqueur would contain pulp from the ume plums that were used in the brewing process. This ‘cloudiness’ gives an additional depth and mellowness.
- 45ml of umeshu (Kiku-Masamune Umeshu)
- Mint leaves according to taste
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- Muddle mint leaves, brown sugar and lime in a shaker.
- Add in the plum liqueur of your choice and an appropriate amount of soda.
- Pour over a glass of ice and enjoy.
Umeshu Yuzu Fizz
- 1 part iichiko Bar Yuzu Liqueur
- 1 part umeshu
- 2 parts soda
- Lemon to garnish
- Ice (optional)
- Mix yuzu liqueur, umeshu and soda in a shaker.
- Pour in a glass of ice (optional).
- Add a slice of lemon to garnish.
- Enjoy the refreshing drink.